Are You Experiencing Hair Loss During Pregnancy?
Are you experiencing unusual hair loss during pregnancy? Worry not, we are here to provide you with the right answers to all your queries, and to guide you in the right direction so that you can put an end to this worrisome problem. The American Pregnancy.Org, http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/hair-loss-during-pregnancy/ states that more than half pregnant women, experience hair fall during the first trimester. At any time, 90% of the hair strands on your head are in a growing phase, while the remaining 10% of hair strands are in the reset phase. Once in every two to three months, the hair strands that are in the reset phase fall down and new hair starts to grow in that place. This is the regular hair cycle.
Telogen Effluvium is the symptom of extreme hair loss that occurs during the first five months of pregnancy. This is quite common and if affects a majority of pregnant women. Around 40 to 50 percent of pregnant women are affected by this syndrome. Just like all other changes that happen during pregnancy, this extreme hair fall is also temporary.
Is it common to experience extreme hair loss after delivery?
Hair loss during pregnancy is usually associated with the delivery of the baby. During pregnancy a large number of hair follicles enter the reset phase. This is a part of the normal hair cycle. So this leads to significant hair loss right after the delivery of the baby. However, though this hair fall may look and feel extreme, it is nothing to worry about and quickly subsides within three to four months after the baby is born. This hair fall is temporary and doesn’t lead to baldness or permanent loss of hair. If you feel that you are losing more hair than normal during pregnancy, it can be attributed to a lack of the essential minerals and vitamins.
Why do people equate pregnancy with hair loss?
When people speak about hair loss during pregnancy, they do not mean the time of carrying. Rather it refers to the period right after delivery. The increase in the level of hormones during pregnancy ensures that your hair doesn’t fall during pregnancy. Though when you have delivered the baby, there is a sudden drop in the hormone level. This leads to hair fall and the hair fall that was prevented during pregnancy occurs now.
Do other reproductive issues play a role in hair fall?
Hair loss occurs as a result of any changes or imbalance in the level of estrogen in your body. So hair fall may also be a result of other conditions like: miscarriage, stopping the use of birth or any other birth control methods, an abortion or a hormonal imbalance.
The Positive Aspects
During pregnancy, estrogen production peaks. This causes a large number of hair strands to remain in the growing phase and thereby stimulates hair growth. So while you are pregnant, barring the first trimester, you are blessed with thick, shiny, glowing hair like never before.
So enjoy this phase and consult your physician if you experience unusual hair loss.